It’s obvious we are living in a right-handed dominated world. After-all, 89% of the general population considers their right hand their dominant hand. But what about the lefties? Sure they may not be able to write on a dry-erase board without smearing all that they had previously wrote, but what advantages do they have over righties? There has to be some, right!? If you want to talk about small percentages, just ask our President, Robin Richter, who is a part of the minuscule 11% of people who can call themselves ambidextrous or left-handed. Check out some of the benefits of being a lefty along with their accompanied linked articles:
- Lefties have a greater chance of being a genius- or having a high IQ.
- Left handed people adjust more easily to seeing underwater.
- Left handed men may make more money.
- Generally, lefties are better at playing video games.
- Left-handed people are likely to be more visual than language-based, making them ideal for artistic pursuits.
- Southpaw drivers are more successful at learning to drive than right handed people.
Check out these quick scientific facts about left-handed people:
- Make up 10% of the population
- More likely to have allergies
- More prone to migraines
- More likely to be insomniacs
- Use the right side of the brain the most
- Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
- More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
- Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
- More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
- Twice as likely to be a man
- Better at 3D perception and thinking
- Better at multi-tasking
- Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
- Left handed pens are a thing! Who knew!?
- Make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties)
- Celebrate left handed day once a year – August 13th – International Left Handers Day
- Draw figures facing to the right
- Recover from strokes faster
- Of the seven most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed
- Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
- On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.
So, as it can be seen, there are a lot of advantages to counter the disadvantages of being a southpaw.